Google provides a great amount of analytics for free. Even better, getting started is easy as well. Login to your Google account (or create one if you don’t have one) by opening a browser to any google site. Now that you are logged in, go to analytics.google.com to get started. A “sign up” button is provided. Click the button to get started on filling out your website information.
- Create an account name, this might be your business or full name. Use a name that makes sense across a number of sites. Thus, it is not confusing when you add access to multiple sites.
- Enter your website address and name. The site needs to be up. Therefore, make sure it runs fine before moving forward.
- Leave all the data sharing settings checked. These are useful and only need to be turned off if you have content you want to keep a little bit private (you can’t use google if you want it completely private)
- Read the license agreement. Click to agree to it after reading the agreement.
- Now you will be sent to the home page and have a section called “Website Tracking” with a bit of code in it.
- Select and copy the code.
- Paste the code into your web pages (preferably a header or footer that every page includes)
- Connect WordPress by downloading the google analytics plugin and following the installation instructions
- Once installed, go to the plugin settings and enter the tracking ID from your home page.
- Go to the Reporting tab/page on the google analytics site and see something like this:
Now you are ready to analyze your site and find ways to reach your target market better.
Click here to return to the class.