There are many options to choose from when it comes to registering a domain. One of the largest companies is GoDaddy.com. Registering for a domain is relatively easy to do. However, the task of connecting a domain to a server can be a bit more involved. Therefore, we have put together this guide to help simplify the work of configuring a GoDaddy domain with a server.
Configure a GoDaddy Domain
- Click on the “Manage” button next to Domains.
This action will bring up a list of all your domains. Scroll through your list until you find the Domain Name you wish to configure.
- Click on the name to go to the domain details screen.
You will either see a screen with tabs (click on DNS Zone File) or you will go right to the screen shown below.
- Click on the “Cog in the upper right-hand corner and choose “Manage DNS”.
This page displays all the record sets for your domains DNS.
- Click the Pencil next to the “A” record and replace the value with your IP address. If you setup an EC2 server for a class, then this is the AWS EC2 Elastic IP.
- Finally, save your changes and wait.
It will take the DNS server a couple of minutes to refresh (sometimes up to 24-48 hours), but once it’s complete you will be able to enter your domain name into a browser, and you should see your web server home page on the server.
- Check out GoDaddy.com
- Check out these books:
To continue taking the “Domain Registration and Configuration” class click here to return to where you left off.